Nothing embodies autumn quite like pumpkin pie. The changing leaves, brisk temperatures and cozy sweaters are all irreversibly linked to the taste and smell of pumpkin pie. Pumpkin is more than just delicious, though. Among many other phytonutrients, pumpkin has a high concentration of the amino acid tryptophan. The body uses tryptophan to create the feel good, relaxation hormone serotonin. No wonder we love pumpkin so much! We created a flawless pumpkin pie smoothie for those times you need a fix.
This pumpkin pie smoothie is gluten-free, vegan and is a virtually perfect pumpkin pie replica in smoothie form. The pumpkin pie spice mixed with the sweetness from coconut milk and maple syrup makes it reminiscent of thanksgivings past.
Cozy up with a good book or a loved one and enjoy the offerings of the season. This smoothie pairs well with reading socks, fire places and just about anything else.
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/4 cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 cup organic canned pumpkin
Non-dairy milk, amount varies depending on desired consistency
- add coconut milk and oats to blender and let sit for 5-10 minutes to soften the oats
- add the maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, protein and pumpkin puree
- note: you can make your own pumpkin pie spice by combining 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp ginger, 1 tsp nutmeg and 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- blend the mixture until smooth
- slowly add your preferred non-dairy milk until the smoothie is your desired consistency
- if you keep it on the thicker side you can top with granola, flaked coconut, pumpkin seeds, more pumpkin pie spice, or anything else you’d like
- pour into glass and enjoy!
Last modified: September 23, 2017